NVC for Therapists Consultation Group
Want support with integrating principles and skills from Nonviolent Communication into your therapeutic work?
This facilitated consultation group is for therapists and counselors who have had at least an introduction to Nonviolent Communication (the work of Marshall Rosenberg) and who want support in integrating the principles and skills of NVC into their therapeutic work.
We gather together once a month to use the compassionate lens of NVC to nurture our therapeutic work. In addition to check-ins and empathy-based consultation*, topics we will explore include:
- Understanding your clients through the lens of needs consciousness
- The connection between feelings and needs
- How to work with inner conflict in a way that honors the whole person
- NVC in couples counseling
- Self-empathy as a tool for working with your own "countertransference"
- Deepening your empathy skills
- Transparency, self-expression, and power dynamics in the therapeutic relationship
- How NVC principles fit and don't fit with other theoretical orientations
- and more, depending on what interests YOU!
*By "empathy-based consultation," I mean that before we jump in to give each other advice and strategies for our therapeutic challenges, we focus on hearing and understanding what's really going on for the therapist who is presenting their case. We make sure they really feel heard, and oftentimes they find their own solutions once they feel heard. In this way, the group members get to practice a key component of NVC: reflective and empathic listening, and live what Carl Rogers spoke about when he said:
"When someone really hears you without passing judgment on you, without trying to take responsibility for you, without trying to mold you, it feels damn good. . . .
When I have been listened to and when I have been heard, I am able to re-perceive my world in a new way and to go on. It is astonishing how elements which seem insoluble become soluble when someone listens.
How confusions which seem irremediable turn into relatively clear flowing streams when one is heard. "
When: First Monday of each month, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Where: 1600 Shattuck Ave. Suite 200, Berkeley, CA 94709
Cost: $75.00 per meeting. First meeting fee includes one optional fifty-minute private consultation with Ali Miller, MFT.
Group size is limited to six participants.
How to sign up: Please send an email to Ali@AliMillerMFT.com or call (415) 820-1433 with any questions or to express your interest.